Rivalry Editorial

Rivalry+Editorial

In regards to sports rivalries, the behavior of high school students in Lawrence is an utter disgrace. No individual or group of individuals is entirely to blame; every person involved with sports and every sports fan who allows this to become anything more than a school rivalry is responsible.

Conversations following Free State vs. Lawrence High sports events are almost always pathetic clashes between students who otherwise would be the best of friends. In the heat of the moment, students resort to outrageous accusations and assumptions. Students also regurgitate meaningless sports statistics in the hopes that their argument will prove their team is better.

The division at 15th Street is the only reason for the slanderous and hateful comments surrounding high school sports in Lawrence. An arbitrary line turns intelligent, forward-thinking people into pretentious fool with a mindset derived not from their own thoughts, but from the thoughts of their group.

The administrations on both sides of 15th Street need to openly campaign against the behavior that has plagued Lawrence sports apparently since the construction of Free State. There is only a 13 percent difference between economically disadvantaged students from Free State and Lawrence High. This had led to many students calling Free State the “rich” school and Lawrence High the “poor” school.
While the students’ behavior is their responsibility, swift and decisive action is needed from those overseeing the sports programs. Instead of proactively preventing this rivalry from reaching a boiling point, the administration must now react to the strain in our gyms. It is the administration’s responsibility to educate athletes and fans how to behave at sporting events. If they aren’t the ones to raise the issue, then no one will.

It may not seem to be the best time for the district to deal with student behavior at athletic events, but focus on the issue is needed to protect the safety of everyone involved. School is a place where students are supposed to feel safe to receive a proper education. We can’t let socioeconomic division turn into violence and hatred in our schools.