Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Bowling Over the Competition

“One year [the bowling team] is really hungry to win,” bowling coach Anita Carlson said. “the next year sometimes we come out a little bit flat.”

This year they are starving for those wins.

“[They are] bowling a little bit more aggressively,” Carlson said “[They] want the wins and are working hard at practice and improving their mental game.”

The bowling program has been a varsity sport for six years and Carlson has been coaching for five of them. She started coaching because she believes that there are not a lot of people who know how to coach bowling.

Her coaching style doesn’t involve a lot of rules but the few that she has do need to be followed.

“[The first year I teached I got a] group that didn’t really have a lot of rules,” Carlson said. “Now we have a lot more organized and structured practices.”

Practices mostly consist of drillwork involving shooting

“We work on spare shooting [and] target shooting. Then we’ll bowl to make sure that everything is going good,” said senior Rob Wagner

Wagner, a top bowler, leads the bowling team along with Christina Picicci.

“In his freshman year [Wagner] made it to state and placed third. This year he shot a 289, which is almost a perfect game,” Carlson said. “[Picicci] came to me as a sophomore and she’s been at the top ever since.She’s always been our good lead off bowler and she’s been a great leader.”

Rob started around the time he was three or four. This young start influenced him to join the bowling team.

“I’ve been bowling all my life and I just wanted to [play],” Wagner said.

The practice must be paying off, a boys team of Adam Miltner, Joel Bonner, Nick Conrad, Connor Kring, Justan Walthall as well as Robert Wagner were regional champions and Christina Picicci and Gretel Briand qualified for state.