Senior Sports: Fall vs. Spring

With the third quarter coming to an end, and graduation getting closer, seniors have a lot on their minds. For some, it’s finishing scholarship applications and awaiting acceptance letters. But for others, it’s about looking forward to their last sports season as a Firebird.

Some students completed their final sports season earlier in the school year. With the feeling of ‘senioritis’ weighing down on them, some students decided not to participate in a spring sport even if they might have played all other years of their high school career.

Fall sports consisted of 75 seniors, while spring sports consist of 57. Twenty of those seniors are part of track, while the other sports have senior team members of 10 or less.

When the number of seniors on the track team is taken out, there are just 37 seniors participating in sports this spring. That’s not to say that track isn’t important, but there are 102 people on the track team including all freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors.

Compared to the other sports at Free State, track can be an overwhelming amount of people.

Some seniors might be hanging it up early so that they can look forward to graduation, but for the ones who stuck around for one more season, good luck.