REVIEW: Squishing-Tons of Candy

Squishington’s, a new candy store owned and operated by the owners of neighboring business Jungle House, opens in time for the holiday season
Filled with candies from the past, an old-fashioned boat sets the scene for customers as they walk in the door. Squishington’s has a nautical theme, complete with an octopus mascot, Squish.

What speaks to the holiday season more than sweet treats? For many holidays celebrated in this season, food often takes center stage in the festivities. Often, the most highly anticipated being the sweet treats and candy that gets their season of indulgence this time of year.

Luckily, Squishington’s Candy Shop located at the corner of Seventh and Massachusetts St. has your candy needs met, recently opening to the public just in time for the holidays. Upon entering, one is met with a wide variety of candy to browse and select from, ranging from store packaged bags of alien gummies, to decadent chocolates, to more mainstream commercial candies, and everything in between. With this, the shopper is given a broad selection, and in said way the store is able to serve a wide variety of customers.

The store, located in what was Liberty Hall Video has not only transformed purposes, but has seen a dramatic redo of the interior as well. When walking in six months ago there was an underlit and carpeted video rental. Today, the store is bright, capitalizing off the large front and side windows looking out onto downtown, with fresh woodwork, flooring and an otherwise completely revamped look.

On vibes alone, the shop gets a high ranking, with an overall quaint and cute feel. However, the candy, and location adds the ribbon that ties this business together as a significant and high potential locale for the Lawrence community. The story of the shop also builds the significance of this business, by understanding the inspiration for Lawrence’s Squishington’s.

Founded late this year adjacent to previously established Jungle House (or Jingle House if you venture in around the holidays), the two shops exist under the same ownership. Furthermore, the cute but curious name Squishington’s has a story of its own, originating as a childhood nickname for the owner and meant to denote his “kid in a candy shop” demeanor, most especially when he was, indeed, in a candy shop. This sparked his dream to open said shop, finally realized with the creation of Lawrence’s own Squishington’s.

The candy is icing on the cake, being perfect as gifts this season, and the variety ranging dramatically with offers that catch the eye as fun and amusing, to the more classic treats one some may opt for. Overall, however, one should be prepared to be surprise by the wide and adventurous selection, and not be limited to the classics which are somewhat limited in this store.

Although a fresh locale still getting its bearings, Squishington’s is a great addition to Lawrences downtown, reasonably priced with a good price range to serve all needs, and ultimately offering an unmatched and unique variety.