The Night You Got Owned

We’ve all done it before. Whether it was lying about where you were, sneaking out, or throwing a party while your parents were out of town.

We’ve all made some major screw ups. The morning after is probably the worst. The moment when you open your eyes and realize that it wasn’t a terrible dream, that last night really DID happen and now you’re in some serious trouble. The grounding can range from days to weeks to months, but that isn’t the worst part. The worst part is the disappointed look in your parents eyes, knowing you just threw all chances of them trusting you out the window. 

However, even though you screwed up big time there are ways to get back into your parents good graces. Here’s some hints you might want to take if you ever want them to trust you again. 

Hint one: Just admit you screwed up. Own up to everything you did wrong and apologize profusely. If you hide any details you’ll only get in more trouble. Parents have this magical way of finding out everything that went on the night you got owned. So in the confessional process be open about what you were doing to ward off future punishments.  

Hint two: Don’t act pissed. At the time, it may feel like a completely unfair punishment, but getting pissed and arguing that point is not the right decision. Keep your mouth shut and take the yelling and words of disappointment. Not arguing back shows respect for your parents and how they’re feeling. Staying calm and listening gives them time to calm down. Don’t do anything that might further frustrate them.

Hint three: Deal with the punishment. Sure, it could be better and it could be worse, but whining and complaining about it isn’t going to make it any easier. You screwed up and got caught, now you have to deal with the consequences. No matter how harsh or stupid the punishment is, telling your parents they are ridiculous is only going to annoy them and get you in more trouble. Going along with the punishment and following their rules shows your maturity and they’ll start to trust you more.

Just pretty much do what they say and don’t do anything stupid and you’ll be good. Accepting you screwed up and not being a kid about it is what they want to see.