Lawrence Guide Dos

Vampire Weekend / Beach House / The Very Best – October 2 @ Starlight, Kansas City ($32)
Although most students are aware of Vampire Weekend, I recommend attending this concert just to see the two opening bands. Beach House and The Very Best make it worth the 32 dollars, even without Vampire Weekend. While each band has a very unique sound, chances are if you like one, you’ll enjoy all three. In fact, Ezra Koenig, front-man of Vampire Weekend makes a guest appearance on one of The Very Best’s debut album, “Warm Heart of Africa”. Each of the three bands newest albums earned the esteemed title of “Best New Music” by music website Pitchfork.com. Beach House played at the Granada earlier this year, but there was some confusion as to whether or not there was an age restriction. Rest assured, this is your chance to see them as this is definitely an all ages show.

Renaissance Festival – September 4 – October 17 @ Bonner Springs ($15.95 adv)
Hark now, methinks I do hear the sounds of the Renaissance Festival. Each of the seven weekends of this festival have a different theme, so even if thou hast already been, there’s bound to be something new each time ‘round. With live jousting and free belly dance lessons in the same venue, thou cannot go wrong. I am most looking forward to the Highland Games on October 2-3. This will include spear, axe and stone throwing  just to name a few. This festival has over 16 stages to fulfill all thy musical needs. Hark teachers and students above the age of 18, thy search for the perfect venue to marry thy loved one ends here. From the Queen’s Tea Room, to the Pub Deck, the Kansas City Renaissance Festival has a total of four magical settings for thy to choose from. If that wasn’t enough, the festival includes over 100 artisan booths and is also pet friendly.

Basic Renaissance Faire Speech:
Good morrow – good morning
Mayhap – perhaps
Wench – young woman
S’wounds – wow!
Huzzah – a cheer
Enow – enough

Scion Garage Fest – October 2 @ Downtown Lawrence (FREE)
Scion is holding a free music festival at four of the downtown Lawrence music venues. There will be a total of 28 bands playing at the Jackpot, Bottleneck, Liberty Hall and Granada. A few of these artists include Best Coast, Times New Viking, The Raveonettes and King Khan & The Shrines. Although students might not be aware of the bands performing,  there isn’t anything to lose as this is a free music festival. The only catch is that entry is not guaranteed. RSVP for this event has closed, so show up before the first band starts at four.

The Very Best – Julia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmCO4z8Uv5k

Best Coast – When I’m With You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sj5_WITMpA