Rising From The Ashes

A lot of work went into developing the Free State Firebird that graces the front of yearbooks, t-shirts and our school today.  In February of 1996, a committee consisting of a Lawrence High student, junior high students, parents, teachers, the assistant principal, and the assistant superintendent was formed to decide the fate of the future Free State mascot and school colors. Students and community members presented the committee with over 75 suggestions for a school mascot and colors. Suggestions ranged from The Free State Buffalo to The Free State Indians, and many community members had strong opinions; however, the Free State Phoenix and Free State Firebird stood out amongst all the rest.   The committee selected 24 mascot representations to appear on the ballot submitted to all seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth grade students living in the Free State attendance area.  The future Free State students chose the Firebird as their new mascot.  

“The Phoenix (or Firebird) was chosen by the city of Lawrence to symbolize the rising of a determined and resourceful city from the ashes of cruel Quantrill’s raid,” Carol Henderson, who helped research the firebird, said.  But then the hunt was on for the design of the Firebird.  Many drawings and suggestions were sent to then Assistant Superintedant Randy Weseman for consideration.  Here are a few that he received:

View Comments (2)