LAWRENCE GUIDE

Urban Book – 2 / 14 / 11 @ Lawrence Arts Center
In the Urban Book art class, “students will take an urban expedition of downtown Lawrence, noting the environment through photographs, drawings, the written word, and collected materials” according to lawrenceartscenter.com. Students will create a book compiling all the work done in this four-week class.Miranda Cosgrove – 1 / 24 / 11 @ Uptown Theater, Kansas City
Miranda Cosgrove is leaving her friends from “iCarly” behind as she takes the stage to support her 2010 album “Sparks Fly.” Concert goers will hear “love songs and just fun songs about hanging out with your girlfriends,” Cosgrove told MTV.com.

The Decemberists – 2 / 7 / 11 @ Uptown Theater, Kansas City
The Decemberists are back at the Uptown in support of their new album titled “The King is Dead.” For those who haven’t heard of the Decemberists, they are an indie-folk band that feature instruments such as the melodica, accordian and Hammond organ. After seeing the front-man, Colin Meloy at Liberty Hall and The Decemberists at the same venue they are playing at next month, this concert is definitely worth attending.

Tiny Furniture @ Liberty Hall
Coming soon to Liberty Hall, “Tiny Furniture” is a movie about “new friends who share a lot of old memories.” This film, which looks like the perfect date movie, won jury awards for best feature-length documentary and narrative at the SXSW Film Festival. The main character Lena Dunham plays a college graduate who lives in the same house as her mother, 17-year-old sister and a man named Jed who gives her relationship advice. According to Entertainment Weekly, Dunham, who is not only the star, but writer and director, is “a storyteller of gigantic charm and subtlety, and a filmmaker of exciting feminine originality.” This movie seems like a must-see for any “Juno” fan.

LOCAL BANDS:
Baby Birds Don’t Drink Milk- 1 / 20 / 11 @ Replay
This experimental rock band is one of my favorite local bands. Their live performances consist a small drum set, multiple guitars, a whole mess of pedals to put weird effects on those guitars and an occasional keyboard. According to Lawrence.com, some of BBDDM’s influences are: “chocolate milk, birthday parties and waterguns that look like alligators.” Formed in 2004 in Kansas City, Baby Birds Don’t Drink Milk don’t seem to have a set lineup of musicians and they often perform in the apartments of their friends. With that being said, every performance is very unique, and anyone who has already seen them is sure to hear something new.

David Hasselhoff on Acid – 1 / 27 / 11 @ Bottleneck
Students who have been to Wakarusa Fest will probably recognize this experimental-funk jam- band. As if the name isn’t convincing enough, their music sounds like an alien spaceship landing on our planet from outer space. “We immerse people in the music until the show is done and the crowd wakes up from the reality we just put them in,” one of DHOA’s band members said according to Lawrence.com. This performance is sure to be out of this world.

Rooftop Vigilantes – 1 / 22 / 11 @ Jackpot Music Hall
Lawrence’s Rooftop Vigilantes seem to be getting a lot of attention lately. These indie rockers have basically burst onto the scene after their performances at the Scion Garage Fest, which was covered by the Free Press last semester, and at the College Music Journal festival in New York.

Tiny Furniture trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_jWPJwKIE

The Decemberists – O Valencia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b2BzZySARo