LAWRENCE GUIDE 3/30/11

Das Racist – 3 / 30 / 11 @ The Granada (hip hop / rap) – $12
“We’re not joking, just joking we are joking, just joking we’re not joking.” Seriously, Das Racist are coming to the Granada. Those lyrics from the song “hahahaha jk?” perfectly describe this hip-hop group as their music is humorous without them trying very hard to be funny. While their lyrics may sound like the world’s craziest Mad-Lib, their music is often called “hyperlink rap” as almost every line is a reference to something on the Internet. Concert attendees should expect to hear some new material along with the classics as they are rumored to release their third mix tape later this year. Regardless of whether it’s the humor or insane lyrics that bring concert goers to see Das Racist, it is sure to be an entertaining show no matter what.True Grit  – 4 / 1 / 11 @ Kansas Union – $3
Here is the perfect opportunity to see the Coen brothers remake without hurting your wallet. Although it may not have won any Academy Awards, True Grit is heavily recommended by Birdwatching author and film teacher Scott Smith.

Toro Y Moi – 4 / 1 / 11 @ Riot Room, Kansas City (indie / alternative) – $12
Come ride the chill-wave with Toro Y Moi. Chaz Bundick (aka Toro Y Moi) is making his third appearance in the Lawrence / Kansas City area  in less than a year. His sophomore album, Underneath the Pine received the title of best new music by music website Pitchfork.com. The best way to describe Toro Y Moi’s sound is the indie sub-genre “chill-wave”. For those who aren’t familiar, it sounds like very minimal, heavily effected 80s pop music. Although Bundick’s most recent album takes steps towards funk, this will still very much be a chill-wave concert full of electronic equipment such as synthesizers and samplers. This recommendation is coming from someone who has been blown away by Toro Y Moi twice.

Big K.R.I.T. – 4 / 5 / 11 @ The Granada (hip hop / rap) – $12
This southern rapper, named one of XXL Magazine’s Freshmen, instantly gained notoriety after the release of his 2010 mix tape Big K.R.I.T. Wuz Here. He recently appeared in Lawrence with Curren$y at the Bottleneck. Although he has released eight mix tapes, the recent Def Jam Records signee will be doing songs from his first studio album titled Returnof4eva. Many critics compare his voice to T.I. and also commend him for his ability write and produce his own music. This is the perfect opportunity to see rap’s next big thing.

When It Drops Review by austin fisher
Sifting through the Internet to find out when a movie, book or album comes out can be a nuisance. When It Drops is a web site that keeps you up to date with new releases in all forms of popular media. This includes movies, music, DVDs, games, and books. The site displays releases from the last week, the current week, the next week, and two weeks in advance. It also includes links to the sites that sell the products displayed. When It Drops eliminates the need to rummage through various sources to find your favorite new releases.