Boys Varsity Basketball Travels to Wichita for State

unknown

For the first time since 2007, the boys varsity basketball team will be heading to state in Wichita on Wed., March 6.

In the boys’ sub-state finals against Olathe East–the game that allowed the team to make a trip to State–the Firebirds inched out a 45-44 win against the Hawks with a game-winning free throw with two-and-a-half seconds left.

The sub-state battle royale saw multiple lead changes and game-tying shots, including a tenacious comeback from a five-point deficit by the Free State in the last minute.

Free State will be entering State as an eight seed–the lowest seed in the tournament– with an 11-11 record, the same record Free State had when they finished third at their last visit to state in 2007.

In the first round, the Firebirds will be matched up against the number one seed, Blue Valley Northwest, an undefeated powerhouse who has beat every team this season by double digits. The 22-0 team is a three-time, consecutive State runner-up with college prospects.

However, despite the BVNW Huskies being favored, the Firebirds have come a long way, putting up fights in all of their games and have earned a spot in the state tournament. To beat the Huskies, the Firebirds will have to play confidently and vigorously as they have been, especially in their past few games.

March is the month of Cinderella stories, and as we’ve seen in Free State’s previous State tournaments, anything can happen.