Sean’s March Madness Blog: 3/7/13

Every march madness has undeserving teams getting high seeds. Last year’s Duke team was a number two seed that was inconsistent all year. Duke lost to 15 seed Lehigh the first round of the tournament.

This year’s overrated team that is poised for an early exit is Gonzaga. Gonzaga’s RPI doesn’t even have them as a top 10 team. (They are ranked 11). Granted they did beat 13th ranked Oklahoma State, and 9th ranked K-State, they have a 2-2 overall record against top 25 teams, which is the worst compared to the other top 5 teams. Gonzaga is a lock for a one seed, unless the earth falls from underneath us, and Gonzaga loses to Portland.

Gonzaga’s conference is at best mediocre. They have no competition: it’s not special to steamroll every team in the West Coast Conference, there is just no one worth mentioning in any conversation about what teams will compete this march. Saint Mary’s? Please, give me a break. Not one team in that conference will do any sort of damage in the tournament, if more than two teams even get in. Gonzaga is the most overrated team I have seen in awhile. They are the equivalent to what Notre Dame was in football this year.

Notre Dame didn’t play anybody, and barely beat teams that couldn’t hold any other top teams jock. They were selected to the BCS Championship off an undefeated regular season, but got thrashed by Alabama losing 42-14. Gonzaga might get past the first two rounds, meet a team that got underseeded that is hungry and talented and they will lose to that team, not by a little either.

Gonzaga has NBA talent, no doubt, but they don’t have the ability as a team to handle a long grueling game with an Indiana or a Kansas. Both teams, if you look at their rosters, are loaded. Gonzaga couldn’t compete with them. Which is why, by the Sweet 16, you won’t see Gonzaga ‘terrorizing’ mid-majors anymore, or trembling at the thought of elite teams.