What Students Want in College

image by sean macentee

Aspen Brunner,10

What is your dream school: I really want to go to BYU (Brigham Young University) to get a major in something, and I want to be a pediatrician.  So, then after that, I’m going  to go to some sort of medical school. I don’t know yet.
Where is your dream college location: I want to go somewhere where there is a good geographical location, where I can do lots of fun things, but also somewhere where it isn’t too distracting so I can stay focused on school work.
How does going to a Mormon school affect your college experience: There are student wards, so different dorms would  go to different wards.  And they would go to church and do activities together, but that would be separate from school. Married couples can stay together as roommates.
Would you rather go far away or stay close: I like the independence of being away from my parents, but I would also kind of like to be close to them, so that if I ever needed them I could know that they’d be close by.
Would you ever play sports in college: I’m not a very big sports person, but if I was to do sports it would probably be tennis.
What do you want to major in: I have no clue.
What is most important to you in choosing a college:  The educational quality and financial circumstances that go into that, and just, like, I don’t know.  Whatever would be best.
Do you have a family school:  I have grown up Mormon, and my parents are Mormon, but they both did go to BYU.

McKenzie Hardin,11

What is your dream school: Most likely just KU.
Where is your dream college location: Lawrence.
What kind of college: I’ll probably just go to a state college.  I don’t think I’d really do community college, and I don’t think I’m really cut out for Ivy League.
Would you rather go to a big school or a small school: Probably a bigger school.
Would you rather go far from home or stay close: Stay close.  I just feel like it’s easier.
Do you want to play sports in college: No.
what do you want to major in: Law.
what is most important to you in choosing a college: Affordability is a big thing, but then also the best opportunities for me in my degree, because there are lots of different law schools so narrowing down ones that are actually suited best for me.
Do you have a family school: No..

Ethan Kallenberger,9

What is your dream school: I want to go to Saint Louis University.
Where is your dream college location: Saint Louis.
What kind of school: Private school.  My uncle went there, and we were in St. Louis a couple weeks ago, and he gave me and my siblings a tour.  And I just really liked the campus, and he told me a lot about the school.  There’s a lot of different things there, but it’s mostly like maths and sciences as far as I know.
big or small: A fairly big school.
far from home or stay close: I would rather go somewhere, but I would be fine with K-State.  I just really wouldn’t want to go to KU.  I’d be fine with most everything else.
Do you want to play sports in college: That would take up a lot of time, so I’d probably rather focus on grades.
What do you want to major in: I do not know my major yet, but I do want to go into the medical field so probably some science.
What is most important to you in choosing a college: That I like it and that I’m not just settling for something, that I go for what I’m looking for.
Do you have a family school: Not really. The only connection to SLU I have is my uncle.