Wheeling to Victory

When senior Lucas Mehl was first diagnosed with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, he was in sixth grade. Still a young boy, he didn’t know what to think.
“I was diagnosed and I really didn’t know what it was,” Mehl said.
Duchenne muscular dystrophy is a rare, yet recessive X-linked form of muscular dystrophy and generally happens to boys. One out of every 3600 is affected.
While Duchenne affects the ability to walk, it also causes muscular degeneration while leads to difficulty breathing.
Even with his disease, Mehl is still involved in sports and has been managing the basketball team for three years. On top of that, he still has a senior year to keep up on.
“Although I have muscular dystrophy and have been in a wheelchair since sixth grade, I manage the boys basketball team and the football team,” Mehl said.  “Between those two, I think basketball is probably my favorite.”
On top of taking time away to attend the practices and be involved in the games, Mehl also has a senior year to keep up on.
“In terms of balancing sports and school, I basically just have to concentrate in school and make time for sports as well. It’s hard sometimes, but sports and school are very important to me,” Mehl said.
While most people take simple things such as walking or sitting up for granted, Mehl will be in awheelchair for the rest of his life.

In terms of cures, there isn’t one; however, doctors can reduce or minimize the pain of patients suffering from muscular dystrophy. Examples of these would be: powered wheelchairs, canes, physical therapy and sometimes even surgery.
When it comes to dealing with muscular dystrophy, there are many complications and physical challenges that the victim has to go through.
As football coach Bob Lisher said, “Everyone has different challenges they have to overcome and different strengths and weaknesses, and Lucas’ strength is of the supervisory leadership role. He does a great job of being positive and assisting the managerial staff and making sure everything is where it is supposed to be.”
As hard as it must be for Mehl to do the same things kids without muscular dystrophy could do, he still isn’t letting that get him down from doing what he loves.
“I always just stay concentrated and realize why I’m doing what I am,” Mehl said.
Although dealing with a disease such a MD is a struggle for everyday life, Mehl still interacts with his coaches and players just as a normal person.

“He’s always with us,” senior Brett Frantz said.  “Nothing’s different. Yes, he has a disease but in my eyes he’s still just like me.”
In terms of Lucas’ jobs, Frantz said that he simply runs the game clock.
However, in Frantz’s eyes, he does a lot more.
“Lucas has provided so much inspiration for me because he is never down, he’s always happy, and he never gets upset,” Frantz said. “To me, that means a lot considering his condition.”
Although Mehl and Frantz are both seniors, (which means they most likely with not be together next year), Frantz mentioned how he is just trying to spend as much time with him [Mehl] as he can and not take it for granted.
“On senior night, it really hit me. I realized that Lucas and I won’t be together anymore and that made me incredibly sad,” Frantz said.
Even though Mehl manages Frantz and other players, he [Mehl] does things that are extremely special to Frantz.
“Before the game, Lucas holds my wristband I wear for him since we can’t wear them during the game,” he said. “It may not be a lot to some, but to me it means the world.”