The Willow Domestic Violence Center And The Renaissance Committee

Relationships and self respect are two issues teenagers struggle with every day. The new Teen Dating Violence Prevention Program by Lawrence’s Willow Domestic Violence Center desires to address both subjects through live presentations and games that define harmful behavior while also modeling healthy relationships and confidence.

Although Willow’s Teen Dating Violence Prevention coordinator Dani Onions has presented in some ninth grade health classes, there has thus far been no mass exposure of the program and its ideals at Free State. The Renaissance Committee aims to change this.

“For the [Renaissance members], their goals are basically just to get the information out and have students become more aware of the options that are available in the community,” club sponsor Jason Springer said.

The Renaissance Club wants to have Onions set up a station at lunch; this allows all students who are interested to come up to get information on the topic. They also have the option of participating in whatever activity the coordinator will offer.

Although the message is the same in each presentation, Onions understands the importance of modifying her presentations to be accessible as possible.

“I’ve worked very hard to tailor my curriculum and presentations to different age groups and settings. The way I present to a Health class, for example, would be much different than the way I would present to the football team,” Onions said. She met with the Renaissance Committee on Wednesday to discuss how exactly she will present at her lunch station.

“Mrs. Onions talked to my health class and it was really interesting. It’s definitely stuff that every teen should know,” freshman Holly Flitcraft said.

“…For adolescents today being able to establish healthy relationships…is important,” Springer said. “And having a lot of self respect and pride in oneself, and not letting others undermine one’s confidence is key to not only surviving high school, but life in general.”

For more information on the Teen Dating Violence Prevention Program look at

https://www.fsfreepressonline.com/news/2013/02/25/lawrence-center-works-on-teen-dating-violence-prevention/