NEWS: TikTok Shop

How TikTok shop is contributing to fast fashion and consumerism
Seniors Allison Mayhew and Mallory Qualseth review a chamoy pickle kit they ordered off TikTok Shop. Photo collected from Allison Mayhew.

Throughout the past ten years, fast fashion has evolved tremendously through the use of websites like Shein, Wish, Temu and now TikTok Shop. According to research expert Stacy Jo Dixon, TikTok generated 3.8 billion U.S. dollars in consumer spending in 2023. 

TikTok Shop launched Sept. 12th, 2023 and allows users to buy products they see on the app without leaving the app. The app typically presents products that are cheap and popular like chamoy pickle kits or a basket full of Mexican candies to influence sales. 

“I was on TikTok and I searched for pickles. A whole bunch of pickle kits popped up on TikTok Shop that were cheap,” junior Daisiana Douglas said. “The quality was terrible, the package was ripped on my porch and you could see what was in the package.”

The products on TikTok Shop can range from off brand ‘’dupes” of popular products to homemade crafts and more, and are usually cheap. Whatever is trending in the world of TikTok can be pushed onto For You Pages to influence the product on TikTok Shop.

I bought some Ugg dupes off TikTok because they were only $10,” sophomore Taryn Jones said. “I saw them on my for you page and they were cheap so I bought them.”

Many users of TikTok Shop have reported scams, and some small business owners have expressed they don’t have full control over sale aspects like discounts and shipping fees. A small business owner named Kate Doan came forward about her experience selling products on a review site called trust pilot.

“They gave customers free shipping and then deducted money from sellers. After the item is delivered, they calculate the actual shipping fee $99 – TikTok shop shipping discount $33 = shipping charge $66. They ask the seller to pay $66 while the item is only $25,” Doan said.

The shipping costs that the sellers have to pay has shown poorer developed products so it’s cheaper. Because of this, many reviews about TikTok Shop were given one star and warned to  not waste time on the site.

Clearly TikTok Shop have very little communication with suppliers and have jumped on the bandwagon for drop shipping,” reviewer on Trust pilot, Nicola Cummings said.  

PULL QUOTES https://www.trustpilot.com/review/tiktok-marketplace.com