NEWS: Youth of the Year Awarded to La’Ron Williams

La’Ron Williams wins Boys & Girls Club Youth of the Year Award
Nathan Friedman
On stage at the Lied Center, candidates react to the announcement of the Youth of the Year winner, La’Ron Williams. This was La’Ron’s second year as a candidate for the award.

On Jan. 25, senior La’Ron Williams was awarded the 2024 Lawrence Youth of the Year Award by the Boys & Girls Club. This was Williams’ second year competing for Youth of the Year which is awarded to a high schooler that demonstrates “leadership service, academic excellence and healthy lifestyles,” according to the Boys & Girls Club. 

Williams wasn’t the only member of the Williams family to compete: his 5th-grade brother, Ja’Corey Taylor, was inspired by his brother and won the junior youth of the year. Taylor was there along with their parents to watch and support La’Ron during the annual ceremony. When he was announced as the winner, they joined him on stage for an emotional congratulations hug. 

The judges selected Williams after hearing the three candidates’ speeches, interviewing them, and reading their written responses. In his speech, Williams thanked his family and mentors for molding him into the person he is and said goodbye to his youth as his high school graduation approached. Williams will go on to compete at the state level and then hope to precede to regionals and nationals.