Bowling team places seventh at State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bowling team places seventh at State

High fiving her teammate, Sapphira Knight celebrates after bowling a strike. Knight is on the girl’s varsity bowling team this year and has been bowling through Free State for three years now. “I think meeting new people [is my favorite part about] each tournament we go to. There’s like six people on each team, so you get to meet six new people you bowl with,” Knight said.

Mackenzie Bickling

Mackenzie Bickling

Mackenzie Bickling

Will Cook, Reporter

The boys bowling team placed seventh at the state tournament Friday, March 3 at Northrock Lanes in Wichita. Senior Alex Jiminez led the boys team who placed fifth individually.

The boys team members were not pleased with their performance at the state tournament, but were satisfied with their season overall.

“It was a down year for us at the beginning of the season, and for us to come together at the end and make it to state was good,” senior Alex Craig said.

The girl’s team sent  junior Morgan Wright and freshman Nicole Miele to the state tournament.

Miele was not satisfied with her performance, but commended the boys team and Wright for their attitudes at the tournament.

“They all stayed calm and every time they would miss, they would pick themselves back up,” Miele said.

• After bowling a strike, junior Emily Low celebrates. Low joined the bowling team halfway through the winter season on a whim. “Even though I started late, it has probably been one of my favorite Free State activities I’ve ever done because everyone was so nice and welcoming,” Low said.

Mackenzie Bickling

• High fiving her teammate, Sapphira Knight celebrates after bowling a strike. Knight is on the girl’s varsity bowling team this year and has been bowling through Free State for three years now. “I think meeting new people [is my favorite part about] each tournament we go to. There’s like six people on each team, so you get to meet six new people you bowl with,” Knight said.

Mackenzie Bickling

• Focusing ahead, sophomore Bayn Schrader strives to get a spare. Schraders highest game score of the season was 259. "There's so much motivation for everyone to do well." Schrader said.

Rylee Roberts

• Listening to his coach Nick Campfield, sophomore Bayn Schrader discusses his bowling strategy. Schrader joined the boys varsity bowling team freshman year and has lettered both years. “I’ve done the high school leagues through Royal Crest in the summer since sixth grade and I’ve been bowling since I was nine,” Schrader said.

Mackenzie Bickling

Boys team results: 5. Alex Jimenez 256-226-173 – 655; 30. Bayn Schrader 191-208-148 – 547, 39. Zach Lockwood 172-171-184 – 527; 40. Cameron Edens 185-178-158 – 521, 46. Cam Edgecomb 174-146-189 – 509; 68. Alex Craig 150-154-151 – 455.

Girls results: 49. Morgan Wright 121-158-182 – 461; 52. Nicole Miele 158-133-156 – 447.