Juniors dominate Powderpuff Football

Celebrating a win against the sophomore team, seniors Maggie Ziegler and Grace Patchen chest bump. The seniors fell short one point to the juniors in the championship.

Jax Egan, Sports Reporter

With under a minute left in the 2017 Powderpuff football championship, junior Brittany Hoffman took the ball on a reverse for a touchdown. This would end up being the final play of the game and the juniors erupted as their victory was made final.

Stop Maya Hodison,

— Jake Zenger

Facing the seniors in the championship, the juniors had one definite strategy going into the game.

“Stop Maya Hodison,” Defensive Coordinator Jake Zenger said.

Senior Maya Hodison ran for three touchdowns in the first game against the sophomores, but the juniors were able to keep her out of the end zone and limit her to just a couple of long runs.

Emma Johnson
Senior Samantha Powell chases down sophomore Mackenzie Thomas near the endzone. The seniors won the first championship round in the tiebreaker.

The junior players themselves were not as concerned as their coaches going into the big game. Junior Emma Yackley went in without much of a strategy.

“I don’t know, just ask someone else,” Yackley said.

After victory was claimed, the juniors were gifted the spirit stick as a reward. Junior Emma Hertig was pleased with the win.

“It felt really good because my grade has never really won anything spirit-wise,” Hertig said. “[My favorite part] was receiving the spirit stick for the first time.”