BREAKING NEWS: South Carolina claims third national title

NCAA Women’s basketball concludes the year with another South Carolina title

Running an aggressive offense through the second half, the South Carolina Gamecocks claimed their third title as the NCAA National Champions. The Gamecocks took their third title as freshman Tessa Johnson led with 19 points. Their previous wins stood in 2017 and 2022 all under the coaching of Dawn Staley. However, this year the team consisted of zero returning starters from last year’s team. 

Coming into the game hosted at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, the Iowa Hawkeyes were 34-4, looking to break South Carolina’s undefeated record of 37-0. 

Thousands of fans anticipated the matchup between NCAA Division I all-time leading scorer senior Caitlyn Clark and the Iowa Hawkeyes against the South Carolina Gamecocks, the widely-accepted number one defensive team in the nation. Furthermore, this game was the first in history that the number-one-ranked offensive team squared up against the number-one defensive team in women’s basketball.

During the first half, the Hawkeyes ran an aggressive offense, with Clark scoring a big 18 points, leaving South Carolina’s defense to scramble. However, head coach Dawn Staley made adjustments, subbing in multiple freshmen to add new dynamics and looks.

“I love the fact that they are taking advantage of every opportunity they are given… They are doing everything they need to do,” South Carolina sophomore guard Raven Johnson said in the halftime interview to an on-site reporter.

After a momentum-shifting steal from Johnson, South Carolina ended the first half up 49-46, holding the biggest lead yet in the game.

In the third quarter, the Gamecocks hit the ground running, extending their lead by nine points and going on a 6-0 run. All through the quarter, a steady lead was held by South Carolina. The score stood 68-59 at the end of the third quarter.

Trailing by 14, the Hawkeyes sank two free throws and two three pointers back to back, closing the gap by eight points with six minutes left on the clock. 

However, the Gamecocks recovered after Johnson’s free throw with only 90 seconds to go. Then, a turnover from Clark prompted the South Carolina gamecocks to run the clock, claiming their title as National Champions 87-75.

On April 15, the Brooklyn Academy of Music will host the Women’s National Basketball Association draft, where standout player senior center Kamilla Cardoso from South Carolina and Iowa native Clark will get the chance to extend their careers in women’s basketball.