Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Lawrence Guide: Middle of the Map Fest

“Ink’s” Middle of the Map Fest @ Westport in KC April 5-7

Following 2008, Lawrence was left with a bitter taste in its mouth. Its beloved, hippie-friendly micro-sized Woodstock–Wakarusa Music Festival–departed from the Clinton Lake grounds and trekked its way down to Ozark, Ark in its worn-out Birkenstocks and tie-dye shirt. As a cumulative representation of Lawrence’s affable music scene and arts appreciation, many Lawrencians were saddened by the festival’s sudden exit, praying to the music festival gods that another joyous festival would reveal itself.

Lawrence had still been waiting for a large scale indie music festival when the gracious music festival gods answered Lawrence’s prayers in the form of “Ink’s” Middle of the Map Fest in Kansas City, MO.

The second annual Westport-based festival flaunts an impressive line-up this year, hosting indie darlings such as Neon Indian, White Denim and Fun, exposing just the tip of the indie iceberg that is the festival. From highly-praised up-and-comers Friends to racket-producing punks F***ed Up to Midwest crooner Beau Jennings, the musicale holds strong in both depth and variety. With over 80 bands–stateside and across the pond–and a potpourri of genres, music lovers can rejoice in the haven that is Middle of the Map Music Fest.

Founded by Nathan Reusch–owner of KC record label The Record Machine–the festival also focuses on spotlighting multiple local indie and hip-hop acts. The festival hopes to “promote community among the Kansas City music scene,” a scene rich with talented rap artists coagulated with Lawrence’s prominent indie rock scene. The success of last year’s festival brought 30 more bands, four more venues and a third day, just so concert-goers have enough time to catch all their top acts.

Sponsored by Kansas City’s lifestyle magazine “Ink” and other Kansas City venue owners, the festival’s performers will play at venues in and around Westport, a tasteful nightlife section in Kansas City’s midtown. Venues include The Beaumont Club, The Record Bar, Westport’s Coffeehouse Theatre, The Riot Room and others.

Unfortunately, due to age limits, the only all-ages shows will be at The Beaumont Club on April 6-7 and at the Westport Coffeehouse Theatre on April 6. If you are 18+, then you can see shows at The Record Bar. But, don’t let the age constraints dissuade you from seeing some awesome music. The Beaumont Club is a wonderful venue–a little bigger than The Bottleneck–and the bands playing their are some of the coolest at the festival–Neon Indian, Mates of State and Fun to name a few.

A cultural and technological forum also takes place on April 5-6, mimicking Austin’s SXSW multi-interest oriented festival. One-day passes for April 6-7 are an incredibly low $20; three-day passes are $35; forum passes are $50, and a pass for everything is $75.

The Middle of the Map Fest is truly a special event, especially for Kansas City; rarely do concert-goers have the opportunity to experience so many intimate and exceptional shows, put on by the coolest contemporary acts at a breadth of venues.