Sing Out Loud

From the choir member who participates in several Encore groups to those non-vocal students who just attend Encore or hear about it constantly from their choir friends, Encore is a big part of the Free State school experience.

The annual performance is the most exciting and anticipated musical event of the year and is almost entirely put together by the students themselves. A lot of work goes into each and every performance, and students often devote a great amount of time and effort to create or perform in Encore groups.  

“We basically put it together. It’s our songs. It’s our baby,” junior Jevan Bremby said.

However Free State students not in choir or sophomores who have not yet had the opportunity to have first-hand experience with Encore often don’t know exactly what is involved in putting on this event. Long hours go into choosing a song with available (and legal) sheet music, putting together groups, rehearsing and auditioning.

“It’s pretty much insane,” choir director Hilary Morton said. “They choose their music, they choose their groups, they purchase their music, rehearse on their own, and then bring what they have to auditions on February 6 and 7.”  

In addition to preparing the music for the performance, students choreograph their songs, which some consider the most difficult aspect.

“It’s easy to learn stuff but it’s really hard to think of stuff to match the music and make it mean something without it becoming cheesy,” senior Alan O’Neal said.

Before auditions, groups practice almost feverishly, and students who choose to participate in multiple groups make a huge time commitment. Some students quit their jobs for Encore and for others it can be a very overwhelming experience. Students audition anywhere from one to 24 numbers.  But far fewer make the cut than audition. This year 126 songs are vying for 35 slots in the show, according to Morton.

After the auditions, the selected groups continue rehearsing on their own and begin rehearsing with directors and choreographers, who may scratch all of the original choreography or merely tweak it. They also participate in tech rehearsals, the first of which typically lasts eight hours, eventually running the entire show and adding costumes and finishing touches.

“What most people don’t realize is that Encore happens outside of choir rehearsals,” said Morton.  “Only the week of the show do we use class time for Encore.”

However all the hard work is generally worth it for the amazing results and response from huge audiences.

“I love watching how happy and exhausted they are after a show, when being greeted by their fans,” Morton said.  “I love the beginning stages, when they’re furiously assembling groups and rehearsing on their own.  I love sitting and watching what they came up with on their own.  I love the breakthroughs they make.”

What The Encore Judges Look For According to Ms. Morton
Ms. Morton is “looking for upbeat songs, of great variety.”
Avoid “sad ballads, it can be a downer in the 3 hour show.”
Create “groups comprised of different people,” not all from one friend group or clique.  She also likes groups with “people from all choirs, all ability levels, and mixed juniors and seniors.”
“Display creativity in the concept of the song,” yet have “an accurate portrayal of the song’s meaning and original interpretation.”
And obviously she’s “looking for rocking vocals.”