1 in 1000: Erin Ice

The college search is an interesting process.  Often students want to be challenged and broaden their horizons, but also want to find comfort in familiarity.  Senior Erin Ice set out looking for a university that was highly academically ranked in the Midwest. Great standardized test scores have allowed her the freedom to look about many schools in the area.

“My junior year during spring break my family and I went to Chicago,” Erin said. “We visited the University of Chicago and Northwestern. At that point in time I wanted to live in a big city.”

Erin also looked into Grinnell College and Washington University in Saint Louis for their strong academic reputations.

Like many of her fellow seniors finances has been the driving concern of her college decisions.

“I’m planning on going to medical school after undergrad so if I want to be able to afford that I need to have a lot of my undergrad paid off before then.”

The reality of the costs of college inspired her to look closer to home.

“I’ve gotten some pretty good scholarships from KU, and I’m pretty sure I’m not going to get that much scholarship money from Grinnell or Wash U,” Erin said.

Although financially these schools might not be realistic, Erin will still be challenging herself academically. Currently, Erin is planning on attending the University of Kansas and being a part of the honors program.

However, staying in Lawrence will not keep her from being involved in campus life. Erin is planning on being an active member of a scholarship hall, involved in volunteering opportunities and might even play intramural soccer.