Meet the Staff
Anders Benson
Anders Benson
Photographer

Anders Benson is a sophomore and a photographer for Free State Journalism! He is involved around the school in drumline, choir, and theater. Outside of school, he enjoys singing, playing music, and learning...

FEATURE: Character Strong

New Character Strong lessons are implemented into USD 497 curriculum
Rachel Bruffett
Monitors around Free State feature Character Strong messages and logos.

For students around the globe, building a relationship with both their peers and teachers is an important aspect of developing as a person. According to their website, Character Strong wants to help with this part of growth through their goal to “build social and emotional competence, develop character, and cultivate strong educator-student relationships” among their users. 

This year, USD 497 decided to add these lessons to the curriculum. Teachers and students alike are exploring the new option; another new change to get used to. 

While new to most in the school district, Character Strong’s methods did not go untested. Principal Amy McAnarney had this to say about what was done in preparation to implement the program. 

“There were teachers throughout the district who piloted the program last year,” McAnarney said. “In fact, we had two in our building that did: Mr. Barmann and Mr. Stewart.” 

Now, the district has set the plan to utilize the lessons during ECT a total of 15 times throughout the school year. 

Science and AVID teacher Mattithyah Bergersen encourages her students to participate in these lessons with an optimistic mind, stating that the social approach of the program will help them build a community in the classroom.

“[The application] involves some engagement. So even if you’re not super excited about the topic, you at least can come out of it with more of a sense of community, and more of a sense of belonging.”

Additionally Bergersen conveyed that the way the school is using Character Strong allows for her to explore further options as a teacher, by giving her time to focus on activities that she typically would try. 

“It gives me a chance to do things with the kids that I don’t normally get to do,” Bergersen said. “It’s something that I think is fun, and I love to hear the kids’ answers.”

While the program has its benefits, according to Junior Asher Dee the students it aims to influence might not have enough interest in joining in. Dee mentioned the lack of participation from some students when talking about a disadvantage there is to the program. 

“Not many people really participated. Some might think it’s a waste of time to be honest, but I don’t think anyone dislikes it,” Dee said

While a lack of interest may be common among students, McAnarney stated that if given a chance, the program will leave an impact. 

“[Success of the program] will depend on how much they put into it,” McAnarney said. “If you put a lot into it, you’ll really benefit and you’ll get to know some of your classmates a bit better.”

About the Contributors
Elliot Skillman
Elliot Skillman, Assistant Copy Editor
Elliot Skillman is a junior and reporter for the Free Press. Outside of journalism he is involved in NHS, art club, and wind ensemble. He enjoys traveling and listening to music.
Rachel Bruffett
Rachel Bruffett, Photographer
Rachel Bruffett is a senior and a photographer for Free State Journalism. She is involved in tennis, track, LINK Crew, National Honor Society, Pre-Med Club, and Fiberbirds. In her free time, she likes to travel, cook, play with dogs, take pictures, and hang out with friends.