FEATURE: Trueblue Student of the Week

KSHSAA Trueblue Student of the Week Award
Senior+Cella+Allison+is+pictured+above+at+a+debate+event%2C+Pumpkins+and+PJs%2C+last+fall.+
Eli Roust
Senior Cella Allison is pictured above at a debate event, Pumpkins and PJ’s, last fall.

After 4 years of forensics, senior Cella Allison won the KSHSAA Trueblue Student of the Week award. This award is given to students who go above and beyond in their preferred activity and are as involved in it as they can be.

“I was excited and in shock. I was so surprised to win the award.”

Allison started her forensics journey back in her freshman year after it was recommended to her. She hopes that the award brings more people into forensics by showing them what forensics can lead to. Allison has found a supportive and kind community in the forensics team, who she says she couldn’t have won the award without.

“I couldn’t have done it without the great squad environment that the Free State debate and forensics team has,” Allison said. “Everyone is just so nice and welcoming and they’re so supportive of each other, that it’s impossible to not have a good time when you’re around them.”

Allison says that she is glad to have won the award to show that there are more opportunities than just sports to find success in. Winning the award opens up new opportunities for students from an academic activity. Allison said she hopes the award will provide her will connections or help her with her college applications.

“When you look at the KSHSAA website most of it is sports recognition. So it’s super cool that they chose someone who’s not part of sports,” Allison said.

KSHSAA Trueblue Student of the Week winner senior Cella Allison. (Eli Roust)

Allison said she believes that her background in theater helps her when presenting. It gives her a different level to her presentation that some people don’t have.

“Having theater experience going into forensics was super helpful because I was already comfortable performing in front of people I didn’t know,” Allison said.

Allison recommends anyone to join debate and forensics because it’s a good place to make friends and learn about something new. The debate and forensics season is during the first semester. State and nationals are during the second semester. Any grade can join at any time.

“It’s a really great environment to at least try out because to some extent, it’s something that you can get as involved in with as you’d like.” Allison said. “You can be super into it and dedicate all your time to it, or it can be something you do more casually, and it’s so much fun either way.”