FEATURE: Olivia Hemker Dances in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

Olivia Hemker Travels to New York to Dance in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Along With Spirit of America Dancers
Smiling in the street, junior Olivia Hemker is surrounded by hundreds of other Spirit of America dancers from across the country. Photo collected from Olivia Hemker.

The Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade has been an iconic staple in many people’s turkey day routine since 1924. While many students may have watched the parade on television, junior Olivia Hemker experienced it first hand. This year Hemker performed in the parade with Spirit of America, a group of dancers from across the country, selected to perform in the parade. 

“I was in Physics class last year when I found out and the room was silent because it was work time. I couldn’t focus for the rest of class because I was so excited,” Hemker said.

Hemker said that it has been her dream to be in the parade even before she started dancing in 2016. Hemker’s dance teacher, a Spirit of America alum, encouraged her to audition. 

“She was in Spirit of America so I asked her how I could do that and she gave me a direct recommendation,” Hemker said.

After Hemker got the part, she had two weeks to learn her routine. She rehearsed on her own, learning the choreography from videos she was given. She was also able to use an open room to practice at her dance studio, Dazzlers Christian Dance.

“Surprisingly, I wasn’t nervous at all because I felt so prepared,” Hemker said. “When we got there, I probably practiced it over 50 times.”

When the day finally came, Hemkers preparation allowed her to showcase her talent in front of 28.5 million viewers. To Hemker, it was exhilarating to be around people who love dancing just as much as her.  

“I felt an immense sense of gratitude and joy. That feeling is something I will hold on to forever,” Hemker said.

Hemker said that she owes it all to everyone who supported her throughout this lengthy process.

“I have watched the parade for as long as I can remember, Hemker said. “It was really a full circle moment for me being there.”