Odd Jobs

Odd Jobs

Not many people’s dads can say they met Chloe Kardashian after last weekend’s Lakers game. There are many people whose dads have odd and unusual jobs that allow them to meet people like Chloe Kardashian.

After being in the shoe business for over 20 years, senior Joey Passio’s dad, does have that opportunity.

Passio’s dad is the Vice President, Divisional Merchandise Manager at Payless ShoeSource.

“When people are introduced the face is the first thing the other person notices. Well, my dad always looks at their shoes,” Passio said. He went on to say that his father’s dedication to his work even introduced him to his wife.

“My parents met when my dad was working in his hometown’s Footlocker store. She was one of his coworkers at the time, “ Passio said.

Both of senior Sam Prososki’s parents own Yacht Club, the restaurant.

“[My dad] works until about three in the morning,” Prososki said. Meaning,  there are some days where he will not see his dad all day. His mom does most of the accounting and menu-creating at home, while his dad does all his work out of the house, so Prososki and the rest of the family see him much less.

Not many people’s dads can say that they deal with hundreds of thousands of dollars daily, either. Sophomore Evan Smith’s dad is Deputy State Investment Officer for the state of New Mexico, where he does a majority of his work. Smith’s dad lives in New Mexico and comes to visit every two months. Smith and the rest of his family are moving to New Mexico as well in July.

“My dad helps out with the economy of New Mexico,“ Smith said.

The investment division of state governments handles financial decisions so the government can make enough money to pay the bills.

Such stories are reminders that students are shaped by their experiences both at school and at home. Some kids only see their parents late at night; others don’t see theirs for months at a time. Parents who work hard and away from home influence their children, who will be just as successful, without the distance from home.