Noah’s Kenn-istry

Noahs+Kenn-istry

Junior Noah Kenn sees science everywhere.

“Science produces all kinds of crazy stuff that’s interesting,” Kenn said as he pointed out a window. “Those cars deal with science, these windows deal with science, and it is a never-ending process.”

However, Kenn has not always had a love for science. Up to the tenth grade he considered the subject boring, but his advanced chemistry teacher, Jordan Rose, changed the way he thought about science.

“Chemistry is a conceptual, challenging content area that can push students to a different level in their cognitive development,” Rose said.

“Noah’s intuitive nature and quietly engaged personality are what sets him apart from his classmates,” she said. “He tries things on his own but has a willingness to ask questions when he needs to.”

Kenn thrives in AP Chemistry.

“Science never really seems difficult to Noah,” according to fellow member Colin Dietz.

“He is in AP Chemistry, which pretty much gives him a pure understanding,”  Dietz said.

As Kenn became increasingly passionate about science, he joined the Science Olympiad, which is an extracurricular opportunity for students to engage scientific competitions. In total, he has competed nine times and won three medals and a ribbon.

“Noah is very helpful to the team in that he is always willing to not only take the knowledge tests, but also construct the machines for the building events, such as gravity vehicle,” Science Olympiad sponsor Mike Colvin said.

A gravity vehicle is a car, which is actually just a box with wheels attached that contains an amount of wound up string. The vehicle has to make it to a certain mark and the string helps slow it down. To win a group needs to make their vehicle stop the closest to a marked point.

“He cares about the science and cares about performing well and winning,” Colvin said. “He medalled last year at regionals. He’s been in Science Olympiad for two years now. He is one of the very few people who has never missed a competition.”

Fellow members of Science Olympiad recognize Kenn’s talents.

“Science Olympiad practices every month November through February,” fellow member John Ross said. “Noah never misses a practice or competition. He will definitely be at State this February.”

Science only becomes difficult to Kenn if he is dealing with unfamiliar science.

“At St. James Academy, where for example we competed on Jan. 19, he had to step up and cover events for people who could not attend,” Colvin said. “So he competed in Thermodynamics for the first time and of course it was difficult to quickly prepare.”

Kenn would like to be a chemical engineer who solves problems using chemistry, biology and physics.

“It’s a good job with good pay and it deals with my big interest in doing stuff like that,” he said.

Kenn said he could never give up his love for science.

“It’s like asking someone to not breathe oxygen.”

View Comments (1)