Archived photo from Chloe Cook
SPORTS: Draft Day
By the office, students can see the attendance leaderboard hanging on the wall. As the school year comes to an end there has been a decrease in seniors attending their classes.
NEWS: Senior Slump
The NBAs viewership has declined almost 45 percent since the early 2010s.
NEWS: Decline in Viewership
Album covers from releases in March.
REVIEW: March Music Mania
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024
PHOTO GALLERY: Prom 2024

Brad and Aaron Simon

photo attribute to JustABoy
photo attribute to JustABoy

Brad and Aaron Simon have more in common than most father-son duos. They both spend their days at Free State–Brad as a teacher and Aaron as a student–and they share a unique title: state chess champions.

“We won as  a team,” Aaron said.

And it certainly was a group (cough, family) effort. Upon landing the job at Free State, Brad immediately stepped into the role of chess sponsor, even with Aaron’s reluctance to participate.

“I kinda finagled him to be a part of the team this year,” Brad said. “He wasn’t going to play; he had other things going on.”

Brad has always guided Aaron, who’s been playing competitively since 4th grade, even though he doesn’t play himself.

“I taught him to play,” Brad said. “I beat him the first couple of games but haven’t beat him since. He’s a lot better than I am. I can play, but I’m not very good.”

With a state title under their belt, it’s obvious a skillful player and encouraging sponsor were all they needed. It’s inspiring to see the two generations sharing a passion that not only bonds them, but brings them and their community success.

Although both being occupied at Free State means they both get to relish in an impressive state championship, Brad jokes his son is more useful than just a key part of the victory.

“The best thing about having him here is when I forget my cellphone he brings it to me,” Brad said.