Getting Big

Getting+Big
I first walked into first hour marketing class at 8:05 not knowing what to expect for the day since I was shadowing Kale Joyce. I turned the corner and there he was sitting there front row right next to the door.
We greeted each other and then I took a seat next to him while class started. I started to think that it was going to be along day as I sat in class observing. We moved into the library because the class was working on an assignment. On the computer Joyce played some computer games, but yet got his work done and printed.
Talking to Joyce, I realized that he had a pretty funny sense of humor. He was joking around showing everybody his skills on tap tap revolution on the computer.
As we moved on in the day we went to first lunch where we sat with a group of Joyce’s friends, which included Cody Kukuk, Justin Walthall, Zach Saunders, and others. There was a lot of laughing and joking going on at the table that Joyce took a large part in, and it was a very nice time.
We then went to Math class where the same group of people from the lunch table were in the exact same class, so you can imagine how that class went. Surprisingly, Joyce was pretty quiet, zoned out in his music focusing on his work.

After math we headed to his fifth hour class, weights. Now, for those of you who don’t know, Joyce works out every day. Not just in his weights class, but outside of school too. He works out at Lawrence Athletic Center six out of the seven days of the week, every day working out something different for an average of one to two hours.

I asked Joyce the reason he worked out so much, and he couldn’t stop naming off reasons. He named off the usual reasons to work out; to be healthier and to stay in shape for sports and looks. But, also he said he works out to relieve stress, to have something to do every day, to stay out of trouble, to get big and just to be happier.

While going to one of his workout sessions with a fellow friend, Zach Pence, after school, he seemed to be very focused on his lifting. One essential thing Joyce told me that was necessary for a good workout session is his iPod. Music is very motivational and pumps up the work out for a little kick when you’re about to give up. After his work he drinks proteins to recover to replenish his vitamins.

Living in someone else’s shoes for a day might open your eyes to what people might be hiding when they go home after school. I know it did for me and I found out that Kale Joyce has a pretty funny sense of humor and is very focused with working out. If you’ve ever thought about taking up working out on a regular basis, Kale’s your man.